Monday, 6 May 2013

Trains and Traffic


Trains and Traffic from Richard Hunter on Vimeo.


Trains and Traffic is my first experiment with a selected clip from ‘Berlin Test Footage’. The visual research allowed me to identify strong definition, intersecting linear motion and an unusual miniature perspective. The scene provided the basis of manipulation, controlling the various planes of motion. Through masking and time warp techniques in After Effects the composition moves from a seemingly ‘normal’ urban landscape to a time-distorted picture of city life (conceptually the intention was to visually comment on the repetition and enclosed nature of the subject)
The audio accompaniment was selected for its mix of slow, drawn out low range synth notes combined with arpeggio-like digital elements. These features are visually represented through the manipulation of motion (slowed, reversed and ramped in speed) offset against the constant of the train element. Production for this piece was quite time intensive and there were a number of failed attempts produced in order to get this short final clip. Critically, I feel there could be more refinement of the masking as there is some slight jittering around the bridge in the foreground. This is something that seems to be an artefact of the clip stabilisation. If was able to devote more time to the piece I could address this and I would work on more in-depth colour correction/styling. Currently the colour treatment gives a film-like mood (that I feel works well) with the train highlighted (through selective colour range). I would like to simplify the scene to an almost graphic version with purely  ‘H’ road shape with moving elements in contrasting colours. The knowledge I gained from the production of this test in terms of postproduction and manipulation will be put into practice in subsequent more stand-alone pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment